Danny Lee captured his first skilled victory in eight years when successful a four-man play-off on the second LIV Golf occasion of the season at The Gallery Golf Membership in Tuscon, Arizona.
The 32-year-old Kiwi, who solely joined the Saudi-backed breakaway tour final month, beat Carlos Ortiz, Brendan Steele and Louis Oosthuizen on the third additional gap with a birdie, having missed an opportunity to win on the earlier gap. Lee’s final win got here on the PGA Tour’s Greenbrier Basic in 2015, which additionally concerned a four-man play-off.
“Possibly it was a coincidence, I don’t know,” Lee stated. “Nevertheless it feels fairly wonderful proper now. I haven’t gained since 2015. I simply felt like successful is simply not my factor, however as we speak simply modified that. It’s simply good to see I’m able to enjoying some good golf once more.”
South Korea-born Lee, who’s at present 267th on the earth rankings, earned $4m for the person first prize and $125,000 as a share of the third-place group prize.
Second-round chief Marc Leishman opened the door for Lee and his rivals with bogeys in two of his first three holes. Charles Howell III, the person winner within the season-opening LIV Golf Mayakoba, held a two-shot lead after getting his spherical to -4 after six holes, however a triple-bogey on the par-3 eighth introduced him again to the pack.
Ortiz was making his run with 5 birdies in his first 9 holes earlier than struggling a double bogey on the tenth. Finally, Oosthuizen turned the front-runner, however he suffered three bogeys in a four-hole stretch late within the spherical, and when he bogeyed the par-3 sixteenth, there was a four-way tie for the lead.
Lee, Steele and Ortiz every completed at 9 below, whereas Oosthuizen, enjoying within the lead group, was 8 below after a bogey on the par-5 seventeenth. However he knocked his method shot shut into 18 and made the birdie putt to affix the playoff. From there, it took three extra journeys by the 18th gap for Lee to publish the one birdie of the playoff – and make his long-awaited return to the winner’s circle.
Within the group competitors, Fireballs, captained by Sergio Garcia, gained by 4 strokes over 4Aces GC, with Lee’s Iron Heads claiming third for the group’s first-ever podium end. The Fireballs turn out to be simply the second group to say a number of titles, having gained final yr on the LIV Golf Invitational Bangkok.
- FIREBALLS GC (-25): Carlos Ortiz 65, Abraham Ancer 72, Sergio Garcia 73 (Rd. 3 whole: -3)
- 4ACES GC (-21): Patrick Reed 66, Dustin Johnson 68, Peter Uihlein 68 (Rd. 3 whole: -11)
- IRON HEADS GC (-19): Scott Vincent 69, Danny Lee 69, Kevin Na 71 (Rd. 3 whole: -4)
- STINGER GC (-16): Louis Oosthuizen 70, Branden Grace 70, Charl Schwartzel 72. (Rd. 3 whole: -1)
- RIPPER GC (-16): Matt Jones 69, Cameron Smith 70, Jediah Morgan 75 (Rd. 3 whole: +1)
- HYFLYERS GC (-15): Brendan Steele 70, Cameron Tringale 74, Phil Mickelson 75 (Rd. 3 whole: +6)
- TORQUE GC (-14): Mito Pereira 67, David Puig 71, Joaquin Niemann 73 (Rd. 3 whole: -2)
- RANGEGOATS GC (-12): Talor Gooch 69, Harold Varner III 71, Bubba Watson 73 (Rd. 3 whole: E)
- CRUSHERS GC (-12): Paul Casey 70, Charles Howell III 71, Bryson DeChambeau 73 (Rd. 3 whole: +1)
- SMASH GC (-8): Matthew Wolff 72, Brooks Koepka 73, Jason Kokrak 73 (Rd. 3 whole: +5)
- CLEEKS GC (-5): Richard Bland 68, Graeme McDowell 72, Bernd Wiesberger 72 (Rd. 3 whole: -1)
- MAJESTICKS GC (-4): Sam Horsfield 70, Lee Westwood 73, Ian Poulter 74 (Rd. 3 whole: +4)