MANHATTAN, Kansas — Regardless of trailing by seven factors halfway by the fourth quarter, Kansas State battled again to outscore Iowa, 15-7 within the last 5 and a half minutes, to gather the 84-83 upset of the Hawkeyes at Bramlage Coliseum on Thursday evening.
The win was Ok-State’s fifth victory over an Related Press (AP) top-5 opponent in its historical past and its highest ranked win since downing fourth-ranked Iowa State in Ames, Iowa, on Jan. 2, 2002. This was the second time in two seasons Ok-State has defeated an AP top-10 opponent in Bramlage, because the Wildcats picked off tenth-ranked Baylor to start Large 12 motion final season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– With Ok-State trailing by three, 81-78, with 2:13 remaining within the fourth quarter, Gabby Gregory went to work on the free throw line. She went 6-of-8 from the foul line to shut out the sport. She gave Ok-State a short lead at 82-81 with 1:09 left, however a layup from Iowa’s Monika Czinano with 51 seconds left put the Hawkeyes again within the lead, 83-82.
– Gregory, who ended the evening with 24 factors together with a 12-of-14 effort from the free throw line, made 1-of-2 with 38 seconds to play to tie the sport at 83. On Iowa’s subsequent offensive possession, Jaelyn Glenn tied up Kate Martin in entrance of the Hawkeye bench to offer Ok-State the ball with 8.5 seconds left because the possession arrow favored the ‘Cats.
RANKINGS: View the most recent ladies’s basketball AP Prime 25
– After a Ok-State timeout to advance the ball, Gregory was fouled on a submit up with 3.7 seconds to play and made 1-of-2 free throws to offer Ok-State the 84-83 lead. After an Iowa timeout to advance the ball, the following offensive play and shot didn’t beat the buzzer because the ball was in Czinano’s hand because the buzzer sounded.
– Ok-State completed the evening capturing 41.2 p.c (28-of-68) from the sphere together with 30.6 p.c (11-of-36) from 3-point vary and 81.0 p.c (17-of-21) from the free throw line. Iowa tallied a 49.1 p.c (27-of-55) effort however have been held to 30.0 p.c (6-of-20) from 3-point vary. The Hawkeyes ended the evening capturing 82.1 p.c (23-of-28) from the foul line.
– The Wildcat comeback began with 5:58 remaining within the fourth quarter, as Iowa’s Caitlin Clark made her twelfth and thirteenth free throws of the evening to tie the Bramlage Coliseum document at no cost throws made by an opponent and put the Hawkeyes in entrance, 76-69.
– Sophomore guard Serena Sundell began Ok-State’s rally with a pair of free throws and adopted with a layup to chop the deficit to 3, 76-73, with 5:06 to play. Sundell ended the evening with 24 factors, six rebounds, 5 assists, two steals and a block.
STAY UPDATED: 3 video games to observe in ladies’s basketball Week 2
– After an Iowa layup, graduate switch Sarah Shematsi linked on her career-best sixth 3-pointer of the evening to deliver the Wildcats again to inside two, 78-76, and was adopted by a steal and layup from Jaelyn Glenn to tie the sport at 78 with three minutes remaining. Shematsi accomplished the evening with a career-high 18 factors and simply her third profession recreation in double figures.
– Clark, who completed the evening with a game-high 27 factors, buried a 3-pointer with 2:41 to play to offer Iowa an 81-78 lead.
– Ok-State leads the collection with Iowa, 5-1.
– Iowa, ranked fourth within the Related Press top-25, was the best ranked non-conference opponent to play in Bramlage Coliseum since top-ranked Connecticut on Dec. 11, 2016.
– Kansas State improves to 74-60 all-time towards present members of the Large Ten Convention.
– Thursday’s beginning 5 was Serena Sundell, Jaelyn Glenn, Gabby Gregory, Rebekah Dallinger and Taylor Lauterbach. This was the primary time this group began a recreation collectively.
– Ok-State ended the evening with 11 connections from past the arc. This marks the primary time since Nov. 19 & Nov. 23, 2021, to tally consecutive video games with 10 or extra connections, because the Wildcats had 10 made 3-pointers towards Wisconsin on Nov. 11.
– Gabby Gregory tallied her forty fourth profession recreation in double figures and her third at Ok-State. This was Gregory’s tenth profession recreation with 20 or extra factors.
– Gregory’s 12 made free throws and 14 makes an attempt established new career-highs for the product of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Gregory’s 12 made free throws and 14 makes an attempt are essentially the most by a Wildcat since Ayoka Lee was 15-of-17 from the foul line towards Oklahoma on Jan. 23, 2022.
– Serena Sundell notched her twenty first profession recreation in double figures. Her 24 factors have been her most since notching 24 at Oklahoma on Feb. 26, 2022.
– Along with her 5 assists on Thursday evening, Sundell moved into thirty second on the Ok-State profession assists checklist with 193. Sundell owns 21 profession video games with 5 or extra assists.
– Sarah Shematsi recorded her third profession recreation in double figures and her first at Ok-State. Her six connections from 3-point vary, a brand new career-high, have been essentially the most by a Wildcat since Jaelyn Glenn made six at West Virginia on Jan. 8, 2022.
FROM THE HEAD COACHES
Ok-State Head Coach Jeff Mittie
“Properly, it was a hell of a recreation, hell of a recreation. I believed actually for 40 minutes, we trailed clearly a very good portion of that, however by no means felt like we weren’t proper there, by no means felt like we weren’t proper there to make a push and by no means felt like we weren’t battling. I feel the half that we wanted to reply was once we bought down I feel it was 76-69 and I believed Serena [Sundell] made huge performs. I believed Sarah Shematsi hit huge photographs. Gabby [Gregory] on the finish actually willed us to the free throw line and was taking part in so robust and aggressive. Made performs defensively. Jay [Jaelyn Glenn] made some performs defensively. You realize, you do not win a recreation like this the place you do not have lots of performs. You are not going to again your means into beating a top-five crew within the nation and we definitely did not and we needed to make performs.”
Answered each punch #KStateWBB pic.twitter.com/x8FBMJ4GDK
— Ok-State Ladies’s Basketball (@KStateWBB) November 18, 2022
On if he acknowledged that the crew was taking part in at a distinct stage…
“I will let you know what I noticed. I noticed a distinct urgency out of our group in communication. I will provide you with an instance. I used to be gonna name an out of bounds play. We had just a little lull and Serena had gathered all people collectively and she or he had known as her play and it was an ideal concept by her to submit up. Now she smoked the layup. At that time I believed ‘wow they have been actually engaged to what they must be doing.’ We’re getting nearer, I feel to actually join with one another. In these stretches, like for instance, there have been stretches tonight the place we wanted to get Shematsi at the least a have a look at three and all people was on the identical web page of what we’re attempting to perform. That has began to return collectively this final week and so we’re studying one another higher. Gabby within the submit, we wish to try this extra, we’re type of studying that. So all of that beginning to come collectively higher.”
On denying Caitlin Clark open appears to be like down the stretch…
“That was just a little little bit of adjustment the final 4 minutes. She [Caitlin] removes it, okay, we’re gonna deny her and all people’s bought to be prepared for her to return door. She was going backdoor, setting cross screens with [Monika] Czinano that was giving us just a little little bit of hassle however all in all, they’re unattainable to cease for 40 minutes. You are choosing your spots, and I believed our group actually performed nicely within the last 5 minutes.”
On how huge this win is…
“I instructed them you get alternatives throughout the season to be concerned in some nice video games and also you hope that you just’re concerned in them and in the event you win them they’re extra particular. There are video games throughout the nation which might be checked out as a few of the finest video games. And I feel this may go down as one of many higher early season video games within the non-con. And in my profession, we have definitely performed lots of top-fives however once we beat them, it is particular. You’ll want to take pleasure in it now. They will get to take pleasure in tonight until midnight, we play tomorrow. They’re type of losing time with you guys proper now, probably not losing time however they have about 71 minutes left or no matter it’s. We have a fast turnaround. I’ll say you do not wish to break it as a result of we have to have momentum. Nevertheless it’s a particular win, it is particular to be at dwelling. We’re off to a very good begin. We got here from behind up in Wisconsin. We did it once more tonight. That is a very good DNA to have, that you’ve the flexibility to return from behind. We have to maintain getting higher, however they will keep in mind this recreation and their profession. Gabby Gregory will keep in mind this recreation as when she stepped up and answered when it was harder and she or he’ll have extra alternatives. Serena will keep in mind within the fourth quarter when she was making performs. Most likely extra importantly is that they’ll keep in mind the teammates they did it with as a result of you do not get these sorts of alternatives fairly often. So it is a particular win and we have brief turnaround to prepare for tomorrow.”
Iowa Head Coach Lisa Bluder
“It was an ideal recreation all the way down to the wire. Sarah [Shematsi] hitting all these threes, I feel she’d hit one on the 12 months and she or he goes six for 10 from three-point vary tonight. That was a distinction maker after which Gabby Gregory drawing 13 fouls is simply a tremendous quantity. She saved going to the free throw line, saved going to the free throw line and that was I feel the distinction within the recreation proper there, these two statistics.”
TOP RETURNERS: Prime 10 returning ladies’s basketball gamers
On why the crew could not draw back after getting the lead…
“We had some premature turnovers that resulted in factors. They bought 22 factors off of our turnovers, they made us pay for turnovers. We had some good leads on the market and we simply did not end. We made some panic passes and Kansas State’s tall, they’re lengthy, however we will be taking part in towards different lengthy groups as nicely.”
On the stress of being a top-five crew…
“As soon as the ball goes up you do not even take into consideration that stuff. What I do know is you could have a goal in your again for everyone else. Everyone wants these wins, you want your top-25 wins. We’re gonna get all people’s finest shot and we higher get used to it. I do not really feel like we had the stress however I feel they have been actually excited to play us. We have to begin understanding that we’re marked and we’re going to should deliver that type of emotion to each single recreation.”
FROM THE FLOOR
Ok-State Sophomore Guard Serena Sundell
On jumpstarting the offense…
“I wished to be aggressive on this recreation and that is type of the mindset I had coming in. So instantly I noticed alternatives. I noticed that I had top and measurement over my defender and located gaps. That was working and that is simply what I used to be going with.”
On her feelings throughout the last evaluate…
“For me, I used to be nervous however I used to be fairly assured that she did not get that shot up in time. I used to be asking everybody round me like, ‘What do you assume? What do you assume?’ However I used to be excited as a result of I had a sense we simply gained that recreation and he was telling us what to do as soon as we win attempting to talk it into existence. Yeah I used to be nervous, excited, lots of feelings. Simply attempting to take pleasure in it.”
MORE: Villanova earns Workforce of the Week honors after upset win
Ok-State Senior Guard Gabby Gregory
On the psychological facet of being down in a recreation…
“Actually, irrespective of what number of factors we have been down I by no means felt like we have been out of the sport in any respect. I by no means felt like there was a giant hole or something. Each second of the sport it felt like we have been proper there proper in it. So not a giant deal in any respect. I did not even understand we have been down by 12.”
On her emotions on the free-throw line over the past seconds of the sport…
“I used to be so nervous, to be sincere, yeah I used to be nervous. The primary free throw to go forward and go in, it was type of like an out of physique expertise. Like my complete physique was numb. After which the second, I simply smoked it however positively it was a really nervous state of affairs. However that is why I follow to attempt to get in these conditions however being within the state of affairs. That is my first time ever being in a state of affairs like that, they’re quantity 4 within the nation. So yeah, I used to be nervous for certain.”
Ok-State continues its three-game dwelling stand on Friday evening towards UTRGV at 6:30 p.m. For tickets, name (800) 221-CATS or go to kstatesports.com. Friday’s recreation will air on Large 12 Now on ESPN+.