PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas — The Marquette girls’s basketball crew (4-0) earned its highest-ranked win in program historical past Saturday afternoon because it took down No. 3 Texas 68-61 within the first spherical of the Battle 4 Atlantis.
“It is an unimaginable evening for us to kick off our first evening right here beating Texas, this is without doubt one of the greatest wins in program historical past for Marquette,” mentioned Marquette head coach Megan Duffy. “I am so happy with Rose (Nkumu) and Jordan (King), but in addition our total crew for giving each ounce of power. Our toughness was unimaginable tonight, I assumed we performed sensible, robust basketball.”
In what was a close to start-to-finish lead for MU, the Golden Eagles obtained out to a powerful begin and turned environment friendly offense right into a 20-14 lead after 1 / 4, with seven totally different MU gamers getting within the scoring column within the first ten minutes. Each offenses fell stagnant within the second quarter, capturing a mixed 8-for-35 within the interval, however Marquette was capable of stay on high because it took a 31-28 lead into the locker room.
RANKINGS: View the newest girls’s basketball AP Prime 25
MU got here out of the gates firing within the third quarter, led by a 6-0 private run by junior guard Rose Nkumu on three Marquette steals, however the Longhorns closed out the quarter on a 12-0 run to make it a one-point MU lead heading into the ultimate body.
Senior guard Jordan King caught hearth within the fourth, scoring 15 of Marquette’s 26 factors, as she went on to complete with a career-high 25 factors. Two of her largest photographs of the sport got here from the charity stripe, when she stepped up with 21.3 seconds remaining and a three-point lead, then hit each free throws to present MU a cushion.
In complete, Marquette led for 38:42 of 40 minutes within the contest. It trailed for simply 36 seconds, early within the first quarter. The Longhorns have been held to simply 31.4 % (22-of-70) capturing within the contest.
MORE: 10 cannot miss non-conference matchups
Texas was paced by Sonya Morris, who completed with 13 factors within the recreation.
- Rose Nkumu completed the sport with a career-high.
- Jordan King went for a game-high and career-high 25 factors. This was the second time this season and fifth time in her profession that she has completed with 20-plus factors.
- Liza Karlen completed with eight factors and 11 boards. This was her second double-digit rebounding recreation this season, and twelfth of her profession.
- Marquette’s most up-to-date win over a Prime-5 crew got here again on 1/13/09, after they it defeated #4 Notre Dame.
- Marquette’s saved its highest-scoring quarter for the fourth, scoring 26 factors within the body.
- Marquette completed the sport capturing 36.2 % (21-of-58) from the ground, 30.8 % (4-of-13) from 3-point vary and 64.7 % (22-of-34) from the free throw line.
- With the win, Marquette is now 2-1 all-time towards Texas and 11-15 all-time towards present Huge 12 groups.